Senior Platform Engineer
New York, NY, US
Technologies & frameworks
Benefits & perks
- Health insurance
- Stock options
- Daily free lunch
- Free gym membership
- Full coverage healh insurance
To sum it up...
We’ve built the world’s largest animated GIF search engine and redefined how people search, discover, create, and share GIFs. Since our start we’ve developed an all-in-one GIF platform with multiple product offerings, touching millions of users per day and serving billions of GIFs per month.
About the Role
We’re looking for an experienced engineer who is passionate about designing, creating and delivering highly scalable distributed services to join our platform team. The GIPHY platform is the core infrastructure that powers both internal and external products including Giphy.com, GIPHY mobile apps, several major, native Social Media integrations, thousands of indie developer apps, our own API and more. Our public API services billions of requests and traffics many petabytes of media per month.
You'll be joining a wildly creative, fun and talented group of individuals who are passionate about building out the future of GIFs. We have big dreams and goals for 2018 and are looking for like-minded, skilled people to join us!
What you'll do
- Design and develop available, performant services enabling millions of people to search for and create GIFs via public-facing APIs using
Scalaand its reactive platform.
- Contribute to processes of development and deployment as GIPHY migrates it's platform to a
- Research and prototype new technologies to be introduced into our systems and infrastructure.
- Collaborate with Product and Business Development to realize new products and features.
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science or equivalent work experience (5+ years)
- 3+ years of relevant industry experience
- Experience with the
Scalaecosystem (Akka, Akka-HTTP, Slick and/or other Scala libraries)
- Experience working with high scale systems
- Experience with low latency systems - understanding how network calls, tcp sockets, and data center locations affect API latency
- Familiarity with *nix and its tooling
- Sense of humor and love of GIFs
- Familiarity with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Experience designing RESTful APIs
- Start-up experience
New York is the most populous city in the US with more than 8 million inhabitants. A lot of immigrants from over 180 countries live in the City. Travelers are usually attracted to its cosmopolitanism and energy. New York consists of five boroughs: Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, The Bronx, Staten Island. New York is also well-known for its cultural heritage Empire State Building, Central Park and Statue of Liberty. The City is a center for fashion, media, culture, research and a booming tech scene.
The tech scene in New York has changed a lot in recent years. A lot of the initial excitement has worn off and settled into a stable trend of successful businesses. In both 2014 and 2015, a New York City tech company went public with a valuation of over $1 billion. It is now #2 startup ecosystem in the world, with startups raising $11.5 billion in venture capital in 2017. NYC is also the HQ of choice for Spotify, Consensys and WeWork.
Did you know...
- New York City’s Federal Reserve Bank holds $90 billion in gold
- 60M tourists visited NYC in 2016
- More than 800 languages are spoken in New York City, making it the most linguistically diverse city in the world; 4 in 10 households speak a language other than English
GIPHY is the world’s largest place to search, discover, and create all the GIFs. We’re the leading brand in GIFs and the format. We act as a search engine for people to find content. Our API powers GIF distribution across platforms like iMessage, Facebook, Twitter, Tinder, Slack, WhatsApp and many more. GIPHY serves 1B GIFS to 100M people every day. We built the way people talk in GIFs. We want the world to speak visually on top of text. via GIPHY