Schibsted Media Group
Backend Developer - Ads & API's
London, United Kingdom
Technologies & frameworks
Benefits & perks
- Flexible working
To sum it up...
A great chance to join an established and respected tech company, that is looking for engineers to help grow out new functions within the business.
Build global systems at scale that are used by 30 million users, in over 22 countries around the world.🌎
Ads common component sits at the heart of Schibsted ads platform, providing the backbone to build scalable products on top of its services, across all markets. Some of the products which have successfully utilised the services built by this team are SSA(Self serve ads), ROSE and Vantage.
- Engineer and implement highly scalable systems, using the best development practices and tools.
- Help define our development environment, and communicate the best development practices within the organisation (i.e. code reviews, testing, etc).
- Continuously monitor the quality of our systems, design measurements to monitor their health (both the engineering systems and data quality).
- Keep on top of the latest and greatest developments in the distributed systems, the cloud, and data science fields.
- Work closely with other teams (Data Science, Product and UX) at Schibsted to drive product development.
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in Computer Science (or similar)
- You’re fluent in multiple development languages (static and dynamic), and interested in learning more. Experience in Java or Scala is beneficial, but not needed.
- You have a deep understanding of systems design, algorithms, and data structures.
- The cloud is your friend. Experience with AWS, Google Cloud, or any proprietary clouds.
- Experience with distributed computing technologies.
- You are comfortable working with multiple stakeholders from different parts of the organization toward a consensus.
Desirable Experience with the following (which you'll be exposed to, if you're not already)
- High availability websites.
AWSor any other cloud platform.
Linux, shell scripting
- High comfort level working with multiple stakeholders from different parts of the organization toward a consensus.
London is the capital of the United Kingdom, situated in the South East of the island. The world's largest financial centre, London is also often referred to the culture capital of the world. The city is well-known for its heritage, including Buckingham Palace, the Tower of London, Kew Gardens, Westminster Abbey, and the historic settlement of Greenwich. London Underground is the oldest urban railway network in the world.
Technology workers in London earn 60pc more than the city average, with the figure even higher for foreign born workers, who earned 28pc more than their British counterparts in tech jobs. London can be considered as a center for professional relocation. Furthermore, there are over 100 of Europe's 500 largest companies' headquarters in London.
The city is famous for unpredictable weather. For instance, it could be cold, warm and rainy in one day and it’s often the topic of conversation across the city.
Did you know...
- 2.5M people, one third of Londoners, are foreign born
- 40% of Greater London is green space
Schibsted Media Group
Schibsted Marketplaces empower the world’s economy and promote sustainability by enabling anyone to sell and everyone to buy, connecting people to new opportunities and great deals every day. Our goal is to provide fantastic value to all of our 30 million daily users across 22 countries, with effective and safe online classified ads. Schibsted Marketplaces is one of the two business divisions of Schibsted, an international organization with more than 7,000 employees in 19 countries. For nearly 200 years, Schibsted has been a trusted name in media, with leading daily newspapers in Sweden and Norway and a trusted family of digital consumer brands. Our 3000+ employees in Schibsted Marketplaces focus daily on solving real problems for our users. With leading generalist marketplaces across Europe, exciting growth companies in Latin America and Eastern Europe, and technology hubs in Barcelona, London, Oslo and Stockholm (to name a few), our teams balance local insight with global scale to develop innovative products and features on the leading edge of digital. Schibsted Marketplaces is one of the two business divisions of Schibsted, an international organization with more than 7,000 employees in 19 countries. For nearly 200 years, Schibsted has been a trusted name in media, with leading daily newspapers in Sweden and Norway and a trusted family of digital consumer brands.