Most people come to Cleo to do work that matters. Every day, we fight for the world’s financial health, building a beloved AI that empowers people to make better financial decisions.
Backed by some of the most well-known investors in tech, we’ve reached over 4 million users and plan to double that number each year...which is where you come in.
We’re looking for a brilliant backend Ruby engineer to join us on our mission to fight for the world's financial health. You’ll be joining a team of adaptable, creative and product-focused engineers who ship working software. We understand our customers, we understand their pain, and we are passionate about helping them.
Life as an Engineer at Cleo
- We don’t deliberate exhaustively over all the what-ifs. We focus on being effective. We make small changes and test them quickly.
- We think the deliberate, conscious and careful accumulation of tech debt is a powerful tool that lets us ship code and value to our users faster.
- We write code to be read, debugged and maintained by humans.
- We help each other. We learn the best and quickest by reviewing each others’ code and giving each other useful, constructive feedback.
What we’re looking for:
- We’re looking for someone who wants to make a positive difference in society by improving the financial health of over 3 million users worldwide.
- We are acutely aware of the position of many of our customers and our role in trying to help and serve them. This means you take the initiative. You are a passionate doer. You own our problems and are always learning.
- You join us in our belief that we don’t know everything and empower our colleagues to make progress. Anyone at Cleo can have an idea and we’ll support them to test it.
- We are trying to be the change we want to see in the world. You purposefully give energy to those around you and inspire confidence. You create an environment that’s inclusive and empowers others to do their best work. You respect your colleagues and our customers.
Why should I apply?
- There’s a clear engineering career growth framework. Whether you want to develop your career as a sole contributor or head down the engineering management track, you can grow with us!
- You’ll be joining an open and collaborative team where you’ll be heard and get to make a difference
- You’ll be joining a team of respected Rubyists in the London Ruby Community
- Work where you work best ... We’re a globally distributed team. If you live in London, we have a hybrid approach and we’d love you to spend one day a week or more in our beautiful office. If you’re outside of London, we’ll encourage you to spend a couple of days with us a few times per year. And we’ll cover your travel costs, naturally.
- You have used Ruby on Rails in a job for at least 6 years.
- You have some experience of leading small teams and mentoring junior developers.
- You are product and delivery focused
- You are adaptable and creative, with a commitment to improvement and learning
What do you get for all your hard work?
- A competitive compensation package (base + equity) with bi-annual reviews. This position is a SE4 level and we can pay £79,396-£96,792 p.a depending on experience.
- Work at one of the fastest-growing tech startups, backed by top VC firms, Balderton & EQT Ventures
- A clear progression plan. We want you to keep growing. That means trying new things, leading others, challenging the status quo and owning your impact. Always with our complete support.
- Flexibility: We can’t fight for the world’s financial health if we’re not healthy ourselves. We work with everyone to make sure they have the balance they need to do their best work
- Other benefits;
- 25 days Annual leave a year + public holidays (+ an additional day for every year you spend at Cleo)
- 401k matching in the US and 6% employer-matched pension in the UK
- Early finish every Friday
- Online courses & internal training to level up your skills
- Regular socials and activities, online and in-person
- Online mental health support via Spill
- Access to Pushfar - online platform for external mentorship
- And many more!
We strongly encourage applications from people of colour, the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities, neurodivergent people, parents, carers, and people from lower socio-economic backgrounds.
If there’s anything we can do to accommodate your specific situation, please let us know.