Head of Engineering (Director)
- Create and inspire a strong engineering culture that is client-focused and aligned with the product vision, partnering across the organisation to achieve this.
- Makes the engineering organisation successful in delivering business needs (products & tech) through excellence in execution; balances between speed and quality; pragmatism; short feedback cycles.
- Drive the implementation of best-practices and prioritisation, ensuring the accountability, observability and measurement of the team deliverables.
- Deliver high quality, high availability, highly reliable, scalable, and secure systems.
- Own people management within the engineering organisation that encompasses hiring, onboarding, retaining, coaching, and career development.
- Built a strong Engineering team through following best practices in hiring and retaining best in class talent at all levels of the Engineering organisation.
- Provide technical leadership when tackling challenging engineering problems, being hands-off is not an option for this role as you will have to be directly involved into the development process.
- Partner with our Information Security Officer to adopt best practices in cyber security during the product development phase, implement high standards of compliance and platform Governance.
Required Skills and experience
- BS/BA in computer science or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Between 5 to 10 years experience in senior positions in the field of software engineering & system architecture design for transactional platforms (highly critical).
- Evolution from Software Engineer, Engineering Lead to Manager, Head of Engineering, Director or high level senior leadership capacity.
- Experience in startup companies.
- Demonstrable track record as a successful senior leader with ownership of operational and technical strategy in an engineering organisation.
- Ideally, you have experience leading a large engineering team with specialties in Backend, Frontend, Mobile and QA.
- Strong knowledge of hands-on engineering, building APIs, frameworks, security, services, back-end services, interfaces, integration with platforms at scale.
- Expertise in full stack architecture technologies and be highly familiar with either of the following programming languages Go, NodeJS, Python frameworks such as DJango and FastAPI. as well as knowledge of a variety of programming frontend languages especially React Framework, Flutter (mobile).
- Demonstrable experience of successful implementation of complex AWS, Azure or GCP solutions using Microservice architecture, message service brokers and highly transactional systems with low latency.
- Ability to drive the execution of technical and product plans.
- Strong in complex stakeholder management and able to drive consensus across the organisation.
- Ability to work in a squad-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Previous startup experience strongly preferred.