Depop is a rapidly scaling business and we’re on the hunt for a Senior Scala Engineer to join our cross functional engineering teams.
Our Scala engineers are passionate about creating great software from their local environment through to production.
Want to find out more about Depop & our engineering team? Take a look at our blog!
We write about technology, people and smart engineering - https://engineering.depop.com/
- Work closely with Product Managers, Designers, Front-End and other Backend Developers to understand problems and to design solutions.
- Produce high quality code which is well-structured and simple to understand that will be used by 1M+ active daily users
- Embrace agile methodologies
- Engage in a culture of continuous improvement by attending events such as book club, functional meet up, blameless post-mortems, architecture review, war games, hack days
- Collaborate on a daily basis with fellow developers to solve problems and write code
- You’ll own your code through its entire lifecycle, including deployment to production
- Help in mentoring junior developers
- We love to work in Scala but would also like to hear from you if you have experience in other JVM languages (we will teach you Scala!!)
- Ability to proactively find and solve complex problems independently, but also know when to seek guidance or help from your peers.
- Write well designed, tested code
- Follow-up on feature until the code is used by customers. Make sure the testing, deployment, monitoring, alerting are in place
- Understand the challenges of distributed software and the way to ease development in that architecture
- Work in an iterative way via continuous improvement
- Put emphasis on the code quality
- Experience with the Play framework, and DynamoDB
- Experience with event driven architectures, preferably using RabbitMQ or Kafka
- Experience in using production AWS infrastructure, ideally with Terraform
- Experience building scalable web applications serving 10,000s of requests per second
- Experience in mentoring junior engineers
- Contribution to open-source libraries
- Tech blog posts
- Degree level knowledge of Computer Science or related technical field #LI-SL1